Monday, May 31, 2010

With innovation comes flaws

It irks me when I see games with blatant, unavoidable flaws get called the best of all time, and until now, it has confused me why these mediocre games warrant so much praise and popularity. The answer: they added something new to the genre. And to most, that simply cannot be overlooked. My favorite games have been the ones that seemed unnecessary at the time, maybe even de-innovated, but were well-designed, fun games that fixed flaws of previous ones. If you are familiar with me, you know that Lost Levels and Mario Golf 64 are two games that I love. They are as cash-in and non-innovative as can be. But with innovation comes flaws. A lot of things that were ahead of their time were flawed. I do not care if a game can bring a map screen or multiplayer mode if they come with horrendous flaws. I just want to play good games. People complain about the lack of innovation in a lot of Capcom's games, but that is what makes them successful a lot of the time. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is another game that seems like an unnecessary rehash, but it toned down problems that have been present in Mario games for a long time: easy difficulty, childish presentation, generosity with rewards, and in-your-face throwbacks to past games. I also loved Bowser's Inside Story because it fixed a lot of problems with RPGs that make them user-unfriendly. Lots of things that were ahead of their time were very flawed. This is why revivals of old games are popular.

1 comment:

  1. Your reviews sound like they come from someone who is slow, dimwitted, and annoys everyone around them with their sheer stupidity. At school, I bet the teachers have to remind you what to do several times each class. I think you also get kicked out of the class room every so often for throwing tantrums over meaningless things. You should watch your valuables closely because someone of your IQ would be an easy target for a thief or even an amateur con artist. Even if you get good enough grades to not fail high school, I bet you'll never survive in the real world!

    ReplyDelete