Nintendo, I have a problem with your newly localized edition of Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. This is not the problem yet. I love this game and I think this was Nintendo's greatest effort with limited hardware. The game accomplishes its purpose of being very challenging and fun. There is no going back and grinding for power-ups or lives, and there is also no enhancing yourself, which means the player has to change and improve themselves instead of making the game easier for themselves. I also get to play it with my two favorite controllers in all of gaming. Now it is the problem. The game is already hard and unforgiving, and that is a bad combination with some of the glitches that have occurred. When I use the Classic Controller, I sometimes get paralyzed and become unable to move for a short period of time, as if it were unplugged. Even with just the Wiimote, the game sometimes slows down, which causes me to sometimes miss jumps I would have otherwise cleared. Also, the game even tweaks its own physics, which is very maverick of it. The speeds of my jumps can randomly change, causing me to be too short or overshoot jumps. This, combined with the game's small room for error and the consequence of going back to the beginning of the world make the game all the more frustrating (not fun) and unfair.
Every eleven years, Nintendo creates a Mario platformer that revolutionizes the genre. Even if they are not good, they will still have a strong influence on platformers, or any game for the entire system. Super Mario Galaxy 1 was the third in the line, netting the usual buildup of excitement and hype months before it was released. Sadly, I found it to be just as easy as the two previous ones, and also very linear and even condescending (For example, a bunny tells you that you can press the A button to jump, and the tutorials go well into the second dome). The Star Bits served almost no other purpose than to extend the play-time in an already long game. I liked the prankster comets. My favorite one is the Daredevil comet. I think there should have been more of those rather than purple comets. Some of the purple comets were challenging, but most of them had no other challenge in them than searching for coins for ten minutes with no danger of enemies. I also liked the three Star Ball levels. Hopefully, Super Mario Galaxy 2 will have less linearity, more prankster comet missions, more Star Ball missions, more Find Luigi missions, more ray surfing and bubble blowing and everything else that was a break from standard platforming in Super Mario Galaxy 1. I believe that game, with its automatic influential power, is responsible for the Wii being regarded by many as a dumbed-down non-gamer console. The Wii has almost unimaginable potential, and I would like to see you make the most of it. It takes the torque of two new Mario platformers to steer the future of the Wii in the right direction. New Super Mario Brothers Wii was a step in the right direction, and hopefully, gamers will not have to wait until Super Mario Universe 1 gets released in 2018 for a stellar platforming experience.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment