Instead of explaining why I downloaded Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2, I will just skip ahead to the part where I play them.
Let me make this clear: I have absolutely no bias towards Mario, and I was more than willing to try Sonic. Every "good" (popular) video game series or franchise had humble beginnings, and Sonic The Hedgehog 1 is no exception. To be honest, I did not like it very much. The game had cheesy graphics, repetitive, screechy music, and what is with all of this waiting around in a game where the main character's defining attribute is his speed? Come on, I just want to zoom through zones! Other people who played my Wii liked it though, so I bought Sonic The Hedgehog 2 with them in mind. I enjoyed it a lot more, it was better in every way (except for bonus levels, but those are optional). The zones were big and showed the huge areas that the Genesis was capable of. The music and graphics were better too, they were very high-quality, unlike those in Sonic 1. The levels also had more creative enemies and obstacles. And plus, there was a new move: the Spin Dash. I love this move and I am glad it became a staple of the franchise! Whenever you stand still, you can press down, then one of the three buttons and your character will start spinning rapidly. If you let go, it is like pressing down while running, except you get to go fast while doing it, and not slow down to a stop, where you are a sitting duck. You can still press down while running though, but it will not have the same effect as spin-dashing. The bosses are more creative too, but they are still pretty easy. You have to be patient on bosses, but those take place in one screen, so I do not mind, and patience is a winning strategy. Even on the Metropolis Zone boss, said to be one of the hardest bosses in Sonic history, I found that the pattern is wait in the corner, jump when he floats to the side, jump again when he floats to the other side, wait in the corner for the balloons to go crazy, and when they form a stable circle, get in one hit. If you are impatient and try to hit him at any other time, you will get hit and become frustrated. When he does a laser attack, stand under him and jump. You win! That was not so hard, was it? If you want to get into Sonic, I suggest you start with Sonic The Hedgehog 2.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment