I have played both of the Pilot Wings games, which has its usual panel of fans who moan about nostalgia, think the games are perfect, and demand more. Usually, I would be slamming games for this, but I liked both of Pilot Wings games. The primary reason I liked them was because I was not collecting stuff. Rather, I was accomplishing stuff. It was all main game, there were no side-quests, there were only tests and levels that had to be completed. Sure, it is irritating to have to watch your hang-glider fly for three minutes just because you did not land correctly, but I found the games to be enjoyable because they were based on skill and had a good difficulty curve. There was also a good sense of going from novice to expert. And yes, they were pretty relaxing.
Pilot Wings 1 was much smaller and shorter than Pilot Wings 64. I mean it, I did everything there was to do in that game in three days. The graphics showed their age, but they were not bad, and I do not have any ideas on how to improve them. In the Sky Diving events on levels 2, 5, and 6, the white spheres/snow gets bigger as you go upwards, then gets smaller again as you go down. Despite being one of the first games on the N64, Pilot Wings 64 had some of the hugest environments on the console.
So far, I have not been very disagreeable. This does slightly have to do with the fact that the two Pilot Wings games are not nearly as hyped as some other games. There was nothing glaringly bad about Pilot Wings 1, except for the helicopter levels. They were a good attempt at a level idea, but they seem to be luck based. Helicopter Level 1 went from taking me lots of tries, to taking a few tries, to taking me lots of tries again. And I beat Helicopter Level 2 on my first try, proving once and for all that they are luck based. There is at least one place where I seriously disagree with fans of this game. My least favorite mode was Bird Man. It was way too slow paced, and it was pointless. The player is destined to either quit or crash. I totally support a Pilot Wings for the Wii.
By the way, it is ironic how the first two games for Nintendo's first console with four built-in controller ports were single-player games.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment