Saturday, December 19, 2009

The NES days experience

Note: NES and SNES are pronounced "Ness" and "S-Ness" rather than "N.E.S." and "S.N.E.S." "Super N.E.S." is also a corny pronunciation. Just pronounce it how the acronym would be phonetically pronounced if it were one word, or say all the full words. For example, do not say "Super Nintendo".

After I got my Wii Shop Channel set up, I was very excited. Many people annoyingly moan about how great the days with older video games were, but for me, they had just begun. I was born in 1993, so I had missed out on the NES and SNES days. The first NES game I downloaded was NES Open Tournament Golf, the first game in one of my favorite series. And I have to say, I was very disappointed. The game was way too hard, in a bad way. I was obsessed with the next one I downloaded, Mega Man 1. I thought Mega Man 2 was pretty lame. I found Mega Man 3 to be better than them both. It fixed every single one of 1 and 2's problems. Mega Man 3 did not feel primitive, and it was fast paced. The colors were brighter and there were a lot less glitches and sprite flickering. The game even sacrificed artificial longevity for actual longevity! The next one I downloaded was Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. The game was still built around the same limited engine that 1 was, but it far surpassed 1 in every way. I tried 2 and it was not very engaging, and 3 was such a huge letdown for me, I cried. That is why I did not buy 1, 2, or 3 for Virtual Console, I just bought Lost Levels. The next one, The Legend of Zelda: The Hyrule Fantasy, was loved to death by many, but I do not have the slightest clue why. It was devoid of action, or any sense of direction, and it had a body count that felt alien for a Nintendo game that was sold to kids. Many people love it, but I do not have any idea how anyone could tolerate it.

Maybe the NES days were not so hot. It seems like people have a bias towards games they played when they were younger, and condone their problems because they were older. To be honest, I would have hated to grow up during the years where the NES was the dominant console. It had no standards because Nintendo had no competition or previous consoles to compare it to. Challenges are good, but during the NES days, hard games were the norm, so young children barely had anything to be good at. Some games required guides just to figure out where to go next, taking a lot of the fun away and making them cash-ins for the companies. Most of the games on Virtual Console are NES games, and so are most of the games I downloaded (In that previous wall of text, I did not mention games I bought for other consoles). I would like to experience the SNES days that I missed out on. Some SNES games I would like to play are SNES Pilot Wings, Mega Man and Bass (Not the GBA version, the SNES version is way better) and hopefully an unreleased game, Star Fox 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment